I have this particular friend that irrespective of what I think I have done I can always tell her “Susz I think I have done something wrong oh” and then we would be able to reason out if I was actually wrong or not. One of the qualities I find endearing in my friends is their ability to build me up and tell me the truth irrespective of how it would end up.
Here is what the bible has to say about friends
“Pro 18:24 A man that hath friends must show himself friendly: and there is a friend that sticketh closer than a brother.
Truth be told, I have made my own share of mistakes as regards friends and God has being merciful enough to bring us back together again. Sometimes, I get a few of my friends weary, but in the end the bond only gets stronger. There are also times I have had to walk away from a few friends, for some reasons that are best known to me. These are ten lessons I have learnt from my relationship with friends;
1. Make sure God is comfortable with “him” or “her” being your friend
2. I do know that you can’t always have the same mindset about the same thing but ensure that you are both in agreement on key issues. Amos 3:3 Can two walk together, except they be agreed?
3. Never talk down on your friends, irrespective of how right you think you are. Your ideas can always be passed on without making the other party feel unimportant.
4. Nobody wants to be around a person who always talks them down and makes them feel like it’s a privilege that they have you as a friend.
5. I have always been able to relate my friendship to what my biology teacher once said about how pests feed on the blood of other animals. It is called “Pest-like friendship”. In this kind of relationship, one party gains and the other party is ripped off. Ensure both parties are adding to the friendship.
6. Never make negative comments about your friend-except you need a candid opinion concerning an issue regarding the other party. Always be truthful to the other party.
7. Always let them know that you love and care for them and this is also applicable to family members.
8. Spend quality time with them and remember important dates in their lives e.g birthdays…Take time to build your friendship. Psa 11:3 If the foundations be destroyed,what can the righteous do
9. Spend time praying for one another and edifying one another.
10. Never let the sun go down on your anger (Eph4:26)
Your friends never leave you the same way they met you-they either add to you or take from you. The case between Ammon and Jonadab was such that Ammon heeded to wrong counsel from his friend Jonadab and in the end, this lead to his death (2Sam13:1-36). These are a few things I have learnt in most of my friendship, some in a nice way and others in ways that were not so palatable. I sometimes break a few of this but then the key is any time you realize that you have gone out of the box, it is never too late to turn back and make amends.
Thank you for taking out time to read this post. Drop a comment and tell us things that have made your friendship long lasting 🙂